Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Soccer in the Rain

I don't know what it is about the fresh, crisp smell rain brings, but it always brings me back to when my friends and I were really little, playing soccer games in the rain together. We would intentionally dribble the ball into the muddy patches, hoping that we would get some mud splashed up onto us and make the perfectly clean, white soccer ball muddy. After the game was over, our parents would try to drag us away so they could get out of the rain. Then we would try to convince them to let us stay a few minutes longer so we could play in the mud some more. They would either let us stay for a couple minutes because they were drenched anyway, or they would say they would be in the car and to come in five minutes. Then, we would slip into each other while trying to get to the ball first and make each other fall into the mud piles. We would be so muddy by the end of it, but what little kid doesn't like to get really muddy?

Yesterday, we had soccer practice in the rain! It was a cloudy and overcast day, but it was still pretty warm outside. We were running some drills and practicing our corner kicks, when I felt a small droplet of rain fall onto my arm. There were two or three more drops that landed on me. Then, everyone started to feel drops hit them. Gradually, the droplets got larger in size and in number and within a couple minutes, it was raining a pretty significant amount. But we didn't care! In fact, we absolutely loved it!!!We were out there in our cleats and shin guards getting muddy and slipping and sliding all over the place!!! I turned to my friend and said, "Aren't soccer and rain the perfect combination?" She agreed and we both looked at each other and then started playing in the mud... Haha... I guess some things just never change! :)

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/943263

No comments:

Post a Comment